Financial Support

Graduate student support includes:

  • Scholarships
  • Fellowships
  • Stipends
  • Research Assistantships
  • Teaching Assistantships
  • Work Study Awards
  • Loans

One-stop shopping

Additional information on most of these sources of support can be found at the Graduate Studies Web site.: For additional information on loan funds, grant funds, and work-study programs, contact the Financial Aid Office, Voorhies Hall, University of California, Davis 95616 (530) 752-9246 and find them on the web at

All forms of support, except for loans and work study awards, are provided on a competitive basis. Awards for incoming students are based on courses taken, grades and area of interest.

Fellowships and scholarships

Fellowships and graduate scholarship awards are based on scholarship and promise of outstanding achievement. Specific information concerning these awards is contained in the application form sent to U.S. citizens or may be obtained from Graduate Studies.

Nonresident Tuition Support

For nonresident students, tuition waivers are available through the graduate group. No special application is needed to be considered for a tuition waiver.

Teaching assistantships

Departmental Teaching Assistantships and part-time reader positions are available to qualified students each year. Application for these positions is made to the course instructor on applications available through the LAWR Teaching Center ( New students are considered for teaching assistantships and reader positions based on the courses they took prior to entering Davis.

Teaching Assistant and Reader Application Form Click here (Download File) to download the application form for TA and reader positions.

Research assistantships

No special application is required for new students wishing to be considered for Research Assistantships. Arrangements for Research Assistantships are made with individual faculty. Applicants are urged to directly contact faculty who may have funding for RA positions in their areas of interest.

Current Openings

For a list of current teaching and research assistant positions, the Graduate Studies website has a link to Graduate Student Academic Appointment Listings.